Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Well, here it is, Jan 3, so let's make a first post!

I bought Harold Bloom's latest liteary opus, 'Where Shall We Find Wisdom' and am currently reading that. While I'm usually a fast reader, Bloom does slow me down somewhat as I have to continually go to the dictionary and research certain 'isms' he refers to which I've conviently forgotten over the years.

So far though, a very interesting book. He starts off talking about, what he calls, wisdom literature in the bible, so the Book of Job, Ecclesiastes, etc. Having never actually sat down and read the Bible (or had it read to me at church or anything), I was rather surprised at how lovely some of the language was.

Anyway, now I'm on the section where he talks about Plato exiling Homer from the Republic.

I love Harold Bloom.

No comments: