Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dark Tower III

50 Book Challenge, Book #22 - The Waste Lands by Stephen King

For me, this book did not start cooking until Jake made his appearance again. And if he hadn't, I probably would've quit this series by now. Eddie and Susannah do nothing for me as characters. I like Roland, but if it had been just the three of them for ever and ever in this series... bah.

Once Jake enters again, the story just comes alive and I found myself invested again. Maybe its because I've always found that King has a talent for writing children, and Jake was interesting enough in his brief Gunslinger appearance that it's great to have him back. His escape back into Roland's world was such an incredible scene.

I really liked the stuff in the city too, even the introduction of Blaine (although I see how that is going to annoy me if it goes on too long. A pain indeed)

Just a few things that caught my attention:

- Another reference to the works of Richard Adams. Both Shardik and Watership Down this time. (King made heavy reference to Watership Down in The Stand as well. I find this interesting since that book about bunnies is a very favourite of mine)

- So we have a John Chambers (called Jake though) and an Andrew Quick. My nerd brain is turning this over a lot. lol

- I want an Oy.

Something about Wizards next I believe?

No comments: