Thursday, December 19, 2013

And some more Kushiel...

Yup, still on these. I can knock 'em off rather quickly it seems. So book number 37 this year is Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey.

This is interesting as with this book, we switch PoV characters and are now continuing the story of Imriel no Montreve de la Courcel; adopted son of Phedre and Joscelin, blood son of the traitor Melisande. This book is basically Imriel's coming of age. We start off with him as a 13 year old boy and end with him being around 19 I think? He basically goes off to the equivalent of Rome to study and find himself. And of course, there's a lot of sex, intrigue and a few battles along the way. Imriel broods a lot, but this is a noted thing, and the other characters even call him on it. Sometimes I find such a thing in books annoying, other times it works, and here I didn't mind that the brooding teenager is called on it.

It was also interesting to see Phedre and Joscelin through someone else's eyes. Someone who unequivocally loves them, but can actually also see their shortcomings. But loves them anyway.

I'm willing to keep going with Imriel's take on things. I'm not completely fond of him yet, but I also don't mind him.

No comments: