Thursday, January 02, 2014

2013: The Year's End

My last high of new books read was 2012, with 36. Well this year, it was 39! 39 all new books! Go me! 

Yes, I did reread some Song of Ice and Fire books again,  but I only read as far as ASoS this year, trying to just read as far as GoT the series got, but I did read quite a few things that GRRM used as source material for his opus. My list includes 3 Canadian authors, one of whom won the Nobel Prize for Literature this year (Go Alice!), and a couple of French authors in translation. There's the usual genres of fantasy (and more fantasy), historical fiction, historical non-fiction, horror and of course, something on Shakespeare. 

So the list is: 

1) A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham
2) A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham
3) An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham
4) The Camelot Papers by Peter David
5) The Price of Spring by Daniel Abraham
6) The Conquering Family by Thomas B. Costain
7) The Magnifienct Century by Thomas B. Costain
8) River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay
9) Open Secrets by Alice Munro
10) The Three Edwards by Thomas B. Costain
11) 1356 by Bernard Cornwell
12) Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
13) The Last Plantagenets 1377-1485 by Thomas B. Costain
14) Kingdom of the Grail by Judith Tarr
15) The Iron King by Maurice Duron
16) The Tyrant's Law by Daniel Abraham
17) Becoming Shakespeare by Jack Lynch
18) The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King
19) The Kingmaking by Helen Hollick
20) Pendragon's Banner by Helen Hollick
21) The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker 
22) Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell
23) In the Shadow of the King by Helen Hollick
24) Among Others by Jo Walton
25) Dance of the Happy Shades by Alice Munro
26) Captive Queen by Alison Weir
27) Darkness of the Light by Peter David
28) The Heights of the Depths by Peter David
29) The Strangled Queen by Maurice Duron
30) Lancaster and York: The Wars of the Roses by Alison Weir
31) Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch
32) Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
33) Those Terrible Middle Ages by Regine Pernoud
34) Dear Life by Alice Munro
35) Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey
36) Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey
37) Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey
38) Dangerous Women by GRRM and assorted
39) Kushiel's Justice by Jacqueline Carey

My favourites? River of Stars, Among Others and my fav of the year, The Golem and the Jinni

Looking forward to a new year of reading. This year I pledge no more rereads of ASoIaF books, so maybe this year I'll hit 50 :) 

2 comments:

Drew said...

Didn't read this before. I just put myself on the waiting list for The Golem and the Jinni as it sounds right up my alley and you gave it a thumbs up.
I haven't gone back and read the actual review as the bare bones is enough to interest me and I don't want to know 'too much' before I start it.
Thanx.

Drew said...

(not sure if I hit the wrong button so feel free not to let this post post if the 1st one went through)
Based on your thumbs up of The Golem and the Jinni and the brief review of it I read on amazon, I've placed myself on the 'hold list' for it at my public library and look forward to checking it out.
I'm not going try to track down your full review as I'm interested in reading the book and that's enough.
Thanx.